Conscious consumption has arrived - Swiss app CodeCheck causes a sensation in Germany
19/10/2109 by Katharina Braun
- CodeCheck overtook WhatsApp, Google Maps and Instagram after a TV report.
- The Swiss app for checking ingredients is number 1 in the App Store.
- This success implies that consumers want products that are more sustainable.
The Swiss app has enjoyed great popularity on German television. After it was featured in a TV report, it overtook well-known names such as WhatsApp, Google Maps and Instagram in the App Store. CodeCheck, the most extensive, German-language, pocket-sized product guide, is the most downloaded app in Germany. Its success shows that consumers want to know what ingredients are in food and cosmetics.
Smart shopping consultant for the conscious consumer
CodeCheck has been helping users understand ingredients in foods and cosmetics for seven years. The barcode on products is scanned with a smartphone and users can immediately see whether any substances of concern are present in the item. The free app can also be personalized with other features - for example, it shows whether a product contains gluten, lactose, microplastics, palm oil or silicones or is vegan/vegetarian. With over two million products in the database, CodeCheck suggests alternatives that contain fewer unwanted ingredients.
The Swiss app leads the App Charts
With already three million users, CodeCheck is no longer a newcomer. After an article on microplastics at RTL Extra, CodeCheck overtook long-established smartphone giants. In the Chip.de test, both the iOS and the Android versions scored very well and were described as "real enrichment" when shopping for food and cosmetics. CodeCheck is the first app from Switzerland that has managed to lead the charts in Germany. "We are constantly working to expand CodeCheck and help conscious consumers make better purchasing decisions for their health and the future of our planet. That's why we're pleased that our app is so well received," said Boris Manhart, CEO and co-founder of CodeCheck.
- More than 7 million downloads
- More than 3.5 million users
- Average Play Store rating of 4.6 out of 5
- Apps for Apple iOS and Android
- Available in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the USA
- Offices in Zurich (CH, Headquarters) and Berlin (DE)